Version 20070215 - Released 2/15/2007
Software Download - 4530 Series
The Version 20070215 file contains installation files for 4530 firmware release. This is a self-installing software update program file for the new BOONTON Model 4530 instruments. Update your instruments by clicking on the link below to download Version 20070215 zip file
This firmware offers the following changes and enhancements:
- Adds Support for CW shaping Tables stored within the sensor adapter.
- Adds GPIB commands to compute the "best-fit" CW shaping table.
- Adds GPIB commands to read, write, or invalidate the CW shaping table in the sensor adapter.
Use Winzip to unzip the files into a working directory, such as c:\temp, with no other files present. The executable is now contained within the zip file.
To update instrument firmware, the following steps should be followed:
- Locate the software update executable file on your computer (the filename will be something like: UPD4530_070215.exe). If you downloaded the update file from the web or via email, a file icon should be embedded in the message, or the file should be saved in your default directory for downloads or email attachments.
- Connect a nine-pin serial port extension cable (DB9 M-F) from your computer's serial communication port (COM1) to the 4530's RS-232 connector on the rear panel. The cable should be a "straight-through type" - DO NOT use a null modem cable or adapter! (If your computer only has COM2 available, see special instructions below).
- From the main menu select:
Utilities > Sys-Tests > DnldFlash [ENTER]
Then, when prompted, press [ENTER] again to confirm the download.
The instrument will re-boot with the 4530 Downloader menu for setting serial communication parameters.
- Execute the update file by double-clicking on the filename or file icon from your browser or email client. If you save the file to disk, you can also execute the file from Windows Explorer, by typing the filename (or the full pathname) at a command prompt ("MS-DOS") window, or from the RUN selection in the Windows Startup menu.
- The program will immediately attempt to establish serial communication with the 4530. If successful, it will report the baud rate and serial parameters used and begin loading the new software.
The progress of loading and programming will be reported on your computer's display and on the 4530's front panel. It takes about 6 minutes to complete the download. When finished, the word "Done." will appear. The program has terminated at this point and it is safe to close the window.
If the 4530 does not restart at the end of the loading process, turn the power off and on to force a restart. From the main menu select Utilities > Sys-Tests > SystemInf [ENTER]. Two Software date codes should be displayed: a main software version, and a DSP software version. They may not be the same, but the more recent of these dates should match the datecode of the update file just downloaded. If the updated versions do not appear, the download failed and the old software is still installed.
If serial communication cannot be established, the update program will respond: "Unable to determine baud rate", or "No response on COM1". If this happens, check the following items:
- Make sure you are connected to COM1.
- Make sure you are using a 9-pin straight-through type serial cable.
- Try setting the 4530 to download at a slower baud rate. The update program will automatically detect the 4530 baud rate if it is set to 9600, 19200 or 38400 baud, so there is no need to change settings on the computer.
When the downloader is invoked, the 4530's initial serial port settings are always:
Baud rate: 38400
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Parity bit: none
Check to make certain that these settings are correct. If you wish to try a slower baud rate, try selecting Serial > BaudRate > 19200 from the downloader menu.
- If COM1 is not available on your computer (perhaps it is in use by another device or program), you may force the install program to use COM2 by executing it with "-2" in the command line. To do this, you must either execute from a command prompt or from the Windows Start Menu, and specify the "-2" command line argument. Note that the file must be saved to a disk first. This action cannot be performed from a browser or email client.
a) FROM A COMMAND PROMPT ("MS-DOS") WINDOW:
Open a command prompt window, and type the full pathname of the install file, followed by a space and " -2". Alternatively, CD to the directory containing the install file, and just type the filename followed by " -2". The following example assumes the install file is in a directory called "download" under the root directory.
CD c:\download <enter>
UPD4530_070215 -2 <enter>
b) FROM WINDOWS START MENU:
Click on the Windows "Start" button, and select "Run". When the dialog appears, click "Browse", and locate the install file. Select (highlight) the file, then click "OK", and the full pathname of the install file should appear in the "Open" box of the Run window. Next, place the mouse cursor at the end of the filename, and add " -2" (don't forget the space), then click "OK" to execute the program.
- Note that versions of the installation program prior to firmware version 20020501 accessed the serial port hardware directly, and some newer Microsoft operating systems may impose limitations on this type of operation which slow or totally prevent serial communications from taking place. It is recommended that MS-DOS, Windows 3.x, or Windows 95 be used when loading these firmware versions. Version 20020501 (filename UPD4530_020501.EXE) and later use standard, 32-bit, Windows calls for widest compatibility, but will not operate under MS-DOS or Windows 3.x operating systems. Should you require a firmware loader that runs under MS-DOS or Windows 3.x, please contact the factory.
For More Information, Contact Boonton NOW!